Class Columns: 1940s


Herbert Rednor
1912 S. Crescent Blvd.
Yardley, PA 19067-3118
(215) 493-5575

I have only one item of news for this column: Harold Bellis passed away June 20. His wife, Mary Jane, died in 1999. He was considered by all to be a loving family man who always put family first.

Harold graduated from Phillipsburg High School and attended Mercersburg (Pa.) Academy. At Lafayette he enjoyed a standout career in both football and baseball. He was well known for quarterbacking the undefeated Lafayette football team of 1937 and also was a key blocking back. Harold’s baseball career was equally impressive. He captained the baseball team and played in every game except one from his freshman season on as an infielder. As a student, Harold was a brother at Phi Delta Theta, a member of the Knights of the Round Table, and senior class president. He was also president of the Student Athletic Association.

After graduation, Harold’s first job was teaching math at Coatesville (Pa.) High School. He was also assistant coach for football and baseball. He subsequently moved to Pen Argyl (Pa.) High School, where he taught math and was head football coach both before and after three years of service in the Army Air Corps during World War II.

In 1947, he came to Phillipsburg High School, where he taught math and coached football from 1947 to 1967. He was head football coach from 1954 to 1967. In addition, he was head baseball coach and assistant basketball coach. After retiring as a coach at Phillipsburg, he served as an assistant football coach for freshmen at Lafayette with Bob Rute. He retired as head of the Phillipsburg math department in 1978. He was inducted into the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 1985 and into the College’s Maroon Club Hall of Fame. Harold won the New Jersey Interscholastic Coaches Association honor award in 1964, was inducted into the Phillipsburg High Wall of Fame, and was voted a Legend of Lehigh Valley in 2006.

Harold is survived by children: Mary Linda Bellis, with whom he lived; James L. Bellis and his wife, Nancy; and Kathy Prichard and her husband, Dave. He was also the grandfather of Joy Bellis, Jeff Haas, Linda Ours, Luke Bellis, Nathan and Emily Prichard, and a great-granddaughter, Isabella Ours. The family requests that donations be made in lieu of flowers to Phillipsburg Emergency Squad, the Phillipsburg Athletic Department at Phillipsburg High School, or Infusion Department, Warren Hospital.


Anthony F. Noto
3414 Drighton Court
Bethlehem, PA 18020-1334
(610) 758-8055

Jim Farrell wrote that he received an invitation to the Oct. 16 football game against Stony Brook, during which Lafayette’s undefeated 1940 team was to be recognized. Jim was one of the backfield stars of that team. If circumstances permitted, I planned to attend that game. My hope was that I could shake hands with the few members of that stellar team who were still in circulation and able to attend.

A word about myself. On June 29, I had a cataract removed from what I thought was my good right eye. My left eye, which I once described as beyond help, is now somewhat the better of the two. Of course, the macular degeneration remains in both eyes.

By the time you read these words it will be about Thanksgiving time. Until then, as we learned to say in Australia during World War II, cheerio, mates.


Robert W.B. Johnston
7507 Glenheath
Houston, TX 77061-2823
(713) 644-4212

President: Otto Alden
Otto Alden spent July and August in cool Nova Scotia.

Phoned classmate and SAE brother Dar Schmidt in Chester, Conn. Dar was not able to talk, but wife Betty says they are doing as well as age allows.

Ed Blumenthal, a Pi Lambda Phi, died April 19. Ed is the father of Peter Blumenthal ’72 and Amy Blumenthal Desmond ’77, and is grandfather of Karen Blumenthal Huber ’99, Lynne Desmond ’06, and Marc Desmond ’10. Ed’s wife of 61 years, Nancy, also survives him.

Dr. Paul Stillman of Boyton Beach, Fla., passed away Oct. 24, 2008. Paul was a premed student at Lafayette.

Jim Reiche died April 6 in the Tarrytown/Yonkers area of New York. He is survived by wife Kathleen, a daughter, stepson, two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. Jim served as an officer in the Army Medical Corps. He retired as production and technical service manager for Refined Syrups & Sugar Co. He was active in the Tarrytown and Yonkers Rotary Clubs.

Pete Prudden of Conway, Conn., passed away July 14. His wife of 64 years, Betsy, son Peter, daughter Marcia, and three grandchildren survive him.

Pete served three years in the Navy as a second lieutenant. He retired after 35 years as plant manager and vice president of Stanley Industrial Components. He was a skilled woodworker, spent four years rebuilding a wooden schooner, made and repaired clocks, kept bees, loved sailing, and could fly an airplane.

The Class of 1942 is fast becoming history. We can be proud of the accomplishments of our classmates who have served well, both in war and peace.

Your correspondent is hoping to hear from you survivors!


Outgoing correspondent:

Earl Kanter, M.D.

Henry Weisl shared with me how his wife Judy’s parents founded a little store in Easton — Spencer Gifts — that became a national chain. He also shared his post-Lafayette career: “I was drafted, but only for a month because of a medical condition. I then worked at Columbia University for the government on a project to produce an antimalarial drug. Shortly after the war ended, I joined Dow Chemical in marketing and remained there until I retired 43 years later. Spent six years at the Midland, Mich., home office.”

Lou Tischler and his daughter, Susan ’76, talk with me frequently. Always a good chat.

In sadder news, four of our own have passed on.

Frederick M. Brunn died March 23. No obituary was available, but I remember Fred as an amazing baseball player who made stellar plays despite a hearing condition.

William Frank Given died April 16. He served in the Army during World War II and afterwards oversaw the building of a defense radar system for RCA Service Co. His wife of 64 years, Betty, two daughters, a son, nine grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren survive him.

Robert Sinclair Bunzey Sr. died May 26 at his home in Denver, N.C. He was a fine athlete, quarterbacking, swimming, and sprinting for our Leopards. His family remembers him as a willing swim coach to youngsters.

Bob was also a solid intellect, receiving his master’s in economics. World War II interrupted his doctoral studies, though, and he enlisted in the Army. For his bravery in battle, he received the Bronze Star.

Bob didn’t forget his alma mater, returning after the war to teach economics at Lafayette. He later worked in labor relations and personnel management for Collins Aikman Corp., retiring as vice president of human resources.

Though wife Elizabeth and daughter Judith preceded Bob in death, his children—Bob, Jay, Lisa, and Danny—sister Beverly, and many grandchildren survive him.

Gerald E. Beatty died in his Bridgewater, N.J., home Aug. 1. During World War II, he served in the Army. Gerald worked in the paper industry as a sales manager. Companies that employed his skills included Dixie Cup in Easton and the Jersey Paper Co.

Gerald is survived by his wife of 69 years, Josephine, sons Gerald, Jeffery, Michael ’70, and G. Steven, daughters Pamela Vance and Nancy Krochta, his children’s spouses, 16 grandchildren (including Richard ’08 and Jeffrey ’11, sons of G. Steven), five great-grandchildren, a brother, Wayne, and a sister, Nancy Saulter. A brother, Stanford “Jim” Leatherberry, and a sister, Jane Lambert, predeceased him.

Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 7 Ridgedale Ave., Suite 103, Cedar Knolls, N.J. 07972, or VFW Service Fund, 406 West 34th St., Kansas City, Mo. 64111.

These classmates will be missed.

As for me, I regret that I will not be able to continue as class correspondent due to health issues, but I’m grateful for this opportunity to share with our great class. Be blessed.


The Rev. Robert G. Sandercock
1961 Hayes Short Lane
Colfax, NC 27235

A report to the class looks both forward and backward. I hope that Eastonians have enjoyed football victories and beautiful evenings under the lights and that coach Joe Kinney feels confident as the baseball team anticipates spring. The new batting cage and the return of Matt Fenster ’11 should encourage him.

Glenn Landis takes us back to the 2010 reunion with an upbeat and enjoyable report: “The weather was clear and warm. The only rain came Friday night. The garden reception for the 50-Plus Club was outdoors, and the dinner in Marquis Hall was delicious. From there, over to the chapel, where President Daniel H. Weiss gave the state of the college address. Then, in the glow of candlelight on the steps of old Pardee, we sang college songs. The Graduates led the singing. It was an evening to enjoy and renew old traditions.

“On Saturday after breakfast, The Graduates rehearsed while the parade made its tour of College Hill. The All-Alumni Luncheon was held in Kamine Gym. The Graduates presented the annual concert in the Morris R. Williams Center for the Arts, and the day ended with dinner in the Fleck Wing of Marquis Hall. Fran O’Hanlon was the speaker, and I led the singing of the Alma Mater. Bob Vandenberg ’43 and I were the two oldest alumni at the dinner.”

This report and Glenn’s attendance at the reunion are noble responses to a call beyond the line of duty. Glenn is still in therapy from a fall, which broke his elbow and shoulder. He attends Philadelphia Alumni Chapter luncheons, sings with the Meistersingers at the Shannondell senior community, and supports the Paoli Presbyterian senior choir. He expects to be present for the 70th Class of ’44 reunion.

Rex Kuhn telephoned from St. Johnsbury, Vt., to announce a family reunion in the Philadelphia area. He looks forward to visiting old haunts, including the Bucks County Playhouse. Recently, he took some hand-carved wooden bowls to the farmer’s market and sold them all.

The alumni office informed me of two deaths in our membership: Martin S. Dorfman died May 9 in Palm Beach, Fla., and Dr. William Lee Hingston died May 5 in Williamstown, N.J. Both served the nation and the cause of freedom during World War II. Family and classmates will remember them as faithful friends with kind hearts and responsible lives.

1946 & 1947

Van T. Boughton Jr.
5124 Fellowship Road
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
(908) 580-0765

1947 Fund Manager: W. Robert Magee Sr.

As sole attendee from our class, I did my best to represent us at Reunion. Those of you who receive the Lafayette Calendar no doubt saw the photo on the opening page of the 50-Plus Reception hosted by President Daniel H. Weiss in the President’s House Garden. We had a good time at this gracious affair. I only regret I couldn’t stay that evening for the step-singing in front of Pardee Hall led by The Graduates. I heard enthusiastic reports about the revival of the old tradition.

A small crowd met for the 50-Plus dinner Saturday night, as the Class of ’55 had their own party. Nonetheless, it was a nice affair as usual and a chance to chat with old friends. Again, I was our only representative, and—shockingly—1943 was the oldest class represented.

No other news or obituaries to report. I really would appreciate a few more emails or notes.


Harvey H. Hunerberg
7015 River Club Blvd.
Bradenton, FL 34202
(941) 351-0303

President: Harvey H. Hunerberg

Reunion Chair: William Lockett Jr.

“All present or accounted for”—an enduring Army phrase heard universally at early morning shapeup—does not apply exactly to the Class of ’48. How many of our class are still present? From information that the College has received, the current records show that 76 of 151 members of the class have been reported deceased.

I did receive a letter from George Sofer: “Thank you so much for continuing to be our class president and class columnist. May you continue those roles in good health and spirit for many years to come. My thanks also go out to Bill Lockett, our class ‘Lafayette Ideal,’ who maintains his duty as class chair. Without the dedicated effort of you two, we would surely be ‘reduced to zero.’ If not for the great distance between Seattle and Easton, my wife, Nelly, and I would be there for every class reunion.

“I came to Lafayette in February 1946 from Baghdad, Iraq. Yes, Iraq of the Middle East and Lebanon, Pa. Bill Lockett had the generous spirit of recruiting me to the Student Council during my first semester. I owe him a great deal for that courageous move, because it provided me with the intimacy of working with American students in a political arena I had never experienced before.

“I remember Bill’s wife walking her child in a stroller in the Quad, a rare event, only seen in the years after World War II. I was a few years younger than most students in my class because they had gone to war to defend our freedom, while I had only the luxury of tracing their progress on a large world map I had pinned to the wall of my study in Baghdad. I was only 18 when the war ended and thus managed to avoid the draft.

“Thanks to the credits I got for passing the London matriculation exam at the British Institute, I was able to graduate in two-and-a-half years. I then went to MIT in June 1948 for a doctorate in chemical engineering. Students returning from the war had similar course credits.

“After retiring from Exxon Nuclear Co., and a Siemens subsidiary, Advanced Nuclear Fuels, I am now living with Nelly in Bellevue, Wash., across the lake from Seattle, exercising at the Bellevue Athletic Club almost every day and keeping track of my three children and five grandchildren.

“I am ever thankful for the Lehigh graduate-teacher in Baghdad who talked me out of applying to Columbia University in 1945 because he said, ‘At Lafayette they will treat you like a human being, and not just a number among 20,000 students.’ He was indeed right!

“Harvey, please keep the Lafayette spirit alive.”

Quite a letter.

I’m taken back a few decades to Easton and the campus. Remember Jim’s hot dog stand at “our side” of the old bridge? And those great roast beef sandwiches?

Years later, while riding round town in an alumni bus, my seat companion asked if I remembered Jim. Of course. “But did you know that he was really well-to-do? I was at a real estate closing when he was buying yet another building downtown. His wife was there too—bejeweled and be-furred!”

I have my own “poor-man” memory: shoveling snow off the Quad, hired by Mr. Wolfe (bookstore) at 75 cents an hour.

Or, while walking downtown toward the bridge to spend some of those six bits, passing that Civil War monument with the character on top.

Or perhaps buying a shoofly pie or an apple pan dowdy from one of the Amish horse-and-buggy vendors lining that same Circle-in-the Square.

Do we remember Eric W. Luster? He died May 28. “His time had come to pull up anchor and sail on to faraway waters.”

Eric had a long career as a yacht broker at the New Jersey Shore and in the Ft. Lauderdale area. He built his first boat as a teenager and followed his dream of a career in boating.

Eric served in the Naval Air Corps during WWII. He graduated with a mechanical engineering degree, followed by several years in the engineering field before changing careers.

His wife Mary Lou, daughter Susan, son Douglas, two stepchildren, and four step-grandchildren survive him.

Not so bad a life. I wish I’d known him.

I don’t have my copy of The Melange with me as I travel. But hey, he was one of us, and there are increasingly fewer of the Class of ’48. So, drop me a line to tell us all is well. We need you.


Werner Hennig
8310 E. Bronco Trail
Scottsdale, AZ 85255-2172
(480) 585-4790

President: Harrison W. Wright