1. Which of the following is an example of a question that requires an interdisciplinary approach?
a. global warming
b. energy independence for the U.S.
c. exploration of Mars
d. economic revitalization of U.S. cities
e. all of the above
2. In the Class of 2012, what is the percentage of students with a major OR a minor in an interdisciplinary program?
3. Where was the word “interdisciplinary” first used?
a. on the corner of 42nd street and Madison Avenue
b. near the Thames River
c. on the steps of the Parthenon
d. near the Neckar River in Heidelberg
4. What is the number of grant dollars received by Lafayette since 2007 for interdisciplinary initiatives?
5. Who said the following: “But the knowledge of a man, who confines himself to one object, bears the same relation to that of a liberal scholar, that the red or violet ray of a prism does to the blended light of a sunbeam”?
a. Oliver Wendell Holmes
b. Isaac Newton
c. John B. Watson
d. James Dewey
6. What was the year that Lafayette instituted formal majors as a requirement to graduate?
7. In the year that Lafayette instituted majors as a requirement to graduate, how many majors were available?
8. Identify Lafayette’s fi rst three interdisciplinary programs.
a. International Affairs; Biochemistry; Neuroscience
b. International Affairs; American Civilization; History and Literature
c. International Affairs; Classical Civilization; American Civilization
d. International Affairs; American Civilization; Russian and East European Studies
9. Approximately how many faculty have identified themselves as having interdisciplinary interests?
10. According to research by Mary Roth and Susan Elrod, in what phase of building and sustaining interdisciplinary programs is Lafayette College?
a. mobilizing phase
b. implementation phase
c. institutionalization phase
d. expansion phase
Answers available here.