Class Columns: 1950s


Irving S. Bravman
211 Colonial Homes Drive NW, Apt. 2309
Atlanta, GA 30309-5201

President: Donald B. Chubb
Fund Manager: Donald B. Chubb
Reunion Chair: James R. Madara
Web Page Administrator: Irving S. Bravman

John Wynn writes that he still plays squash and tennis, and he skiis at Vail, Colo., three weeks a year. He said he started skiing while at Lafayette; he and some Theta Delts would ski at Split Rock. John and Peggy looked up Jack Middleton last year when they were in Concord, N.H., attending a meeting of the Friends of Lafayette. It is interesting that when Jack joined his law firm way back, he was the only non-Dartmouth grad in the firm, and now he has gone on to many awards, as reported in my last column. John manages stock portfolios with Wells Fargo Advisors, which recently honored him for his 60th year in the business. He did well last year and doesn’t plan to stop. In early 2010, he was inducted into the Lower Merion (Pa.) High School Hall of Fame (soccer); he was a second team All-American and started the youth soccer program in Lower Merion Township. In addition to everything else, he served as president of the Philadelphia Rotary Club and the Philadelphia Securities Association.

After Bob Fow spent half his life on the East Coast, he and Beverly relocated to Tustin, Calif. They like the weather but miss the seasons. I don’t think they felt bad about missing the East Coast winter just passed. They get East occasionally, and a few months ago Bob reconnected with Arno Richter, a fellow engineer. Bob laments the fact that Theta Xi is no longer on campus. And a brief note from John “Jack” Fox that he has retired to Naples, Fla.

I get the most interesting letters from Bill Van Buskirk, who lives in Orono, Maine. Bill, who has a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, retired as a foreign service officer with the U.S. Department of State. His most recent letter reminisces about 1950 and the ROTC program; while we were enrolled in an Army Infantry program, not many in the program looked forward to going to Korea. Bill lucked out; they needed a German-speaking junior officer for Germany and the European Theatre, and Bill was “in the right place at the right time.” Bill also served in the South Pacific during World War II.

I am sorry to report the passing of Seymour “Sy” Friedman Aug. 24 in Fort Myers, Fla. Sy was a Pi Lam from Easton and served with the 7th Cavalry during the occupation of Japan. Bob and his wife of 49 years, Charlene, lived in Toledo, Ohio, for 39 years, where he owned a Baskin-Robbins store and later a QuickPrint. In addition to his wife, Sy is survived by sons Bert (wife Linda) and Craig (wife Shelly), a granddaughter, a grandson, and a sister.

We also lost Eugene Miller Feb. 18, 2010. Gene was a Navy pilot on the USS Yorktown during World War II. He then flew for TWA for 30 years. The Millers lived in Boynton Beach, Fla., for over 20 years and had recently moved to Sun City Center, Fla. Surviving are Eugene’s wife, Mary Elizabeth, daughters Eugenie and Victoria, son Paul, eight grandchildren, and one great-grandson. And we have a brief note about the passing of Robert J. Bradley of Chester Springs, Pa., March 3, 2010. Our sincere condolences go out to all of these families.


John B. Cornish
1424-C Catasauqua Road
Bethlehem, PA 18017-7473

President: Joseph I. Diamond Jr.
Fund Manager: Henry Kohlenberger Jr.
Reunion Chair: Richard H. Knox

Talked with Ann who reports Hilton “Dutch” Rahn is in good spirits and is back home after returning from a round of therapy. Dutch and his caretaker, Rocky, even sang Christmas carols together. Ann was delighted to hear them.

Rick Knox has his committee of Dutch Rahn, Joe Diamond, Hank Bilhuber, and me planning our 60th. It will be one to remember! Mark the dates—June 10-12—on your calendar NOW and join our gang!

Rick continues to practice law in Philadelphia. He and wife Eileen have managed their law office for over 20 years. Members of the firm are about Rick’s age. Son Rick is football coach at Chestnut Hill Academy in Philly, teaches history, and is dean of students. Younger son Andrew is a product liability attorney with an office in the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Rick, along with Harvey Russ and Al Arkett and their spouses, enjoyed the camaraderie at reunion last summer. Of course, I was there singing with The Graduates along with Jim Sahadi. Coach Fran O’Hanlon gave us a great account of our basketball prospects for the future at the 50-Plus Dinner.

Hank Bilhuber witnessed your class correspondent singing with The Graduates at the Lafayette–Stony Brook football game. He reported that Harvey Russ, Bill Oaks, Rick Knox, Marv Riddle, Rich Hinterleiter, and others were there also. Hank now sports a pacemaker to help his active lifestyle. He chats frequently with Henley Smith and reports Bill Oaks had a knee replacement.

Edwin Conklin reports he is retired, divorced, and living in Point Pleasant, N.J. After a few bouts with some heart and back surgeons, he is like the Energizer Bunny® and is still going!

John Cornish, your correspondent, had an active year, with a Torch Club Convention in Youngstown, Ohio, a visit to the Shaw Theatre Festival at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging Convention (1,000 attendees) in Los Angeles, with a day enjoying the sights in Hollywood, and First Night on New Year’s Eve, Pittsburgh.

It was great to see Frank Downing at the Lafayette–Lehigh game. Frank had a tough summer of it, with a couple of stents inserted in his heart arteries. We can all remember the battle cry that he led, “Beat the Lehighs.”

Bob Goodfellow reports he is working on an art book about wife Lee’s relative, Mead Schaeffer, an illustrator and contemporary of Norman Rockwell, and one of the highest paid illustrators of the 1920s. He has worked on the project for several years, and hopes to publish it as Mead Schaeffer, Illustrator of the Classics. His eldest son, Bob, will take over if necessary to ensure its publication. Bob and Lee are in good health, with three of four offspring and seven of eight grandchildren living close by.

Charles F. “Charlie” Gotschalk of Sequim, Wash., died March 25, 2010. Born in Reading, Pa., and raised in Red Bank, N.J., he graduated from Lafayette with a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering and as a member of Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society. He married Joan P. Boyle and moved to Rutherford, N.J., with Wright Aeronautical Division of Curtis-Wright Corp., working on piston and gas turbine engines. In 1956, he joined Solar Aircraft Co. in San Diego, developing small gas turbine engines for commercial and military applications. Solar was purchased by International Harvester, Caterpillar, and Sundstrand, from which he retired in 1989 and moved to Sequim. He was la ife member of Society of Automotive Engineers, serving a term as San Diego section chair. Charlie was an avid sailor and member of San Diego’s Mission Bay Yacht Club and then Sequim Bay Club. His sailing started with a Barnegat Bay Sneakbox on the Shrewsbury River in Red Bank. Using his favorite 19-foot Lightning sloop, he won the Pacific Coast Championship in 1979. He enjoyed tennis, golf, skiing, swimming, and hiking with his family. He was a volunteer at the Sequim Visitor’s Center. Charlie is survived by wife Joan, daughters Jill (husband Paul) and Patricia (husband Barry), son Chris (wife Fawn), and sisters Carole R. Feaser and Martha A. Slattery.

Chauncey “Chan” Hawley Jr. died Nov. 6. Born in New Jersey, he served in the Navy in World War II and then received a bachelor’s in business from Lafayette. He had a long, successful career with Montgomery Ward, serving in various executive roles. A member of Fellowship in the Pass Church in Beaumont, Texas, he co-founded Friendship Bible Club, an outreach to adults with development disabilities. He was married 56 years to Gloria, with a daughter, Laura, and son, Craig.

Leonard R. “Kip” Heintze died in his hometown of Easthampton, Mass., April 14, 2010. Kip was born in Camden, N.J. He graduated from the Merchantville (N.J.) High School in 1943 and immediately enlisted in the Army. He served in the Engineering Corps, 1943–45, in France, Belgium, and Germany. He was wounded twice in France and received a Purple Heart with two Oak Leaf Clusters, a European Theater of Operations Ribbon with five battle stars, and a Combat Infantryman Badge. In July 2000, he received a diploma from France for his service after D-Day. He graduated with a physics degree and joined Kollmorgen Corp. in Northampton, Mass., as an optical engineer. He worked with Perkin-Elmer in Norwalk, Conn., and Itek Corp. in Lexington, Mass., before returning to Kollmorgen in 1975. After retiring in 1990, Kip served the Easthampton Board of Health and the Conservation Commission. He was an award-winning sharpshooter of the Northampton Revolver Club and the Easthampton Fish & Game Club and was an avid photographer. He loved travel, visiting the Far East and most of our national parks and monuments. Alma, his wife of 61 years; two married sons, Lee (wife Gail, with sons Hawk and Colin) and Todd; and a daughter, Denise, survive him.

G. Robert “Bob” Koch died Aug. 25 in Walnut Creek, Calif. He had a long struggle with Parkinson’s disease. Born in New York, he spent his youth in Brazil. After graduating from Lafayette and MIT, he spent most of his career with Kaiser Engineers in Oakland and overseas. Wife Mary, sons Robert and Thomas, their wives, and six grandchildren survive him.

Dr. C. Thomas Lloyd died July 8 in Indianapolis.

John Joseph Mitman died Aug. 28. His homes were in North Bergen, Cape May, and Allendale, N.J. An Army veteran of World War II, he later received a master’s from the University of Delaware. His career was as a textile chemist. His wife, Magda, predeceased him. Daughter Janet Morrow (with children Christopher and Jennifer), son John E. (with children Diana, James, Johnny, and Jordan) and sister, Felicia Stromeyer survive him.

John A. Muller of Manasquan, N.J., died Dec. 13. Born in Linden, N.J., he spent his early years in many New Jersey communities. He made an impressive 6-foot, 4-inch lifeguard at the shore. On completing high school, he joined the Army Quartermaster Corps, was stationed in Italy, and rose to staff sergeant. At Lafayette, he was a member of Alpha Omega fraternity. After college, he married Dorothy Smith of Jersey City, N.J. He worked with his father in New York City for a while before opening his custom cabinetry shop in Manasquan, where he also did general construction. The Mullers retired in 1987 and spent time in Savannah, Ga. John’s brother and two brothers-in-law survive him. Dot died a year earlier. The Mullers loved their two dogs, Sockie and Rufus.

Dr. Charles O. Richardson of Lawrence, N.J., died Nov. 30. Born in Reading, Pa., he graduated from the Lawrenceville School in Princeton, N.J. He received a master’s in international relations from University of Pennsylvania and Ph.D. in modern European history from Georgetown University. He worked two years for an American firm in Turkey and then taught history at Albright College and Rutgers University. In 1967, he became a history professor at Rider University. He retired as an adjunct professor and continued teaching through May 2010. he served as a deacon and elder in the Presbyterian Church. Charles was an active committee member of Eden Autism Services and a past president of American Association of University Professors. A son of a former U.S. congressman, he is survived by wife Nancy, children Polly and Geoffrey, brother William (wife Emily), sister Dorothea Thorne, and several nieces and nephews.

Leon Clark Richtmyre of Smithville Galloway Township, N.J., passed away June 19 at home. Born in Orange, N.J., he attended Montclair (N.J.) High School and Montclair Academy. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. He was a member of Kappa Delta Rho fraternity, and after Lafayette, attended Drake Business College. Leon was employed by Singer Kearfott in Little Falls, N.J., for 40 years, retiring in 1991. He was a member of Smithville VIPs, New Jersey Jazz Society, Hill City Square Dance Club, and Harmony Dancers. Leon was the beloved husband of Jean, father of Jill R. Loesser and Amy R. Williamson, and stepfather to Tom Brodell, Susan Carmenaty, and Mark Brodell. He had four grandchildren and three step-grandchildren. His brother, William, also survives him. His sister, Ruth Richtmyre Combs, predeceased him.

Leslie Harkless Russ, spouse of Harvey Wheeler Russ, died Sept. 20, in Boston. Born in Rochester, N.Y., she moved to Longmeadow, Mass., and graduated from high school there in 1961 before going to Bradford College. She retired from IBM in Boston in 1998. She married Harvey in 1981, and they lived in Situate, Mass., and Buffington, S.C. An avid golfer, she enjoyed Lafayette ’51 Reunions.

Richard William Vieser died Oct. 14 in Summit, N.J. At Columbia High School in Maplewood, N.J., he was on a state championship baseball team and became an Eagle scout at age 15. After a year at Lafayette, he joined the Army and served in Korea. After discharge in 1948, he re-entered Lafayette and served as president of Theta Delta Chi fraternity. Beginning as a trainee at AT&T headquarters in New York City, he became a corporate leader in the electronics industry working for such companies as Chatham Electronics, Tung Sol Electronics, Wagner Electric, Worthington Pump, McGraw-Edison, Cooper Industries, and Forstmann Little. He hosted numerous foreign trade missions for the U.S. Department of State.

After retirement, Richard maintained an active presence in business by serving on the boards of some 20 organizations. A voracious reader, he had a profound love for music, art, and travel. Involved in historical preservation and philanthropy, he was a member of president’s council of Colonial Williamsburg and a trustee of Winterthur Museum. He was an avid golfer and member of several golf clubs. He believed life was to be celebrated and his greatest joy was with family and friends around a roaring fire at his farm in New Hampshire. He is survived by Lois, his wife of 59 years, children Richard (wife Patricia), Cheryl Kleckner, Joseph, William, and Jamie (wife Melinda), and nine grandchildren.

Herman E. Weiss of Bethlehem, Pa., died April 18, 2010, at Easton Hospital. Born in Easton on June 27, 1925, he operated Weiss the Florist Shop in Centre Square for many years. After Lafayette, he attended Catholic University in Washington, D.C. and served in the Navy during World War II. He was a member of the men’s choir at St. Joseph’s Church, Citizens Hose, Easton Family YMCA, and Bethlehem Men of Retirement Age Club. Sisters Mary Jane Wilson, Elizabeth Rufe, and Edith H. Nixon (husband Joseph) and a brother, Paul (wife Nancy), survive him, along with many nieces and nephews. His brother William died earlier.

William R. Weinberger of Madison, Conn., died peacefully June 22. He lived in Madison 37 years. He received his bachelor’s in metallurgical engineering and a master’s in engineering management from Drexel University. He worked in metals and nuclear power industries and retired as manager of quality control from Vibra-Metrics Inc., Hampton, Conn. He was a lifetime member of Metals International and served in the Army Air Force in the U.S. and Korea. He is survived by his wife, Mary, children Robert (wife Cynthia), James (Deborah), and Sharon Dredger (husband Scott); grandchildren William J., Michael, Remy, and Dane Weinberger, and Danielle and Kelly Dredger; sisters Dorothy Cribbs and Muriel Widmer; and sister-in-law Janet Shepherd (husband James).


John D. Kinard
209 Buttonwood Way
Glenside, PA 19038-3305

President: Open
Fund Manager: Hugh H. Jones Jr.
Reunion Chair: John D. Kinard
Web Page Administrator: Open

“A country dance was being held in a garden.” The first line from a song of a “few” years ago, brings us back to another time, another era. Are we singing it in a time warp at Lafayette? Lately, it’s point counterpoint (180° one way, then 180° the other), reversal of fortunes. Life can be like that.

This has been the Maroon’s experience in the last two seasons of football (8–3/4–2 then 2–9/1–4) and basketball. This fall’s 146th Lafayette–Lehigh game was very close, but we lost 13–20. Peb Jones, our treasurer, and family were there, and your class correspondent saw his 60th Lafayette–Lehigh game.

Harvey Whitten moved into Shannondell at Valley Forge, Pa., due to a stroke. He joins a large Leopard community there, including Otto Alden ’42, Glenn Landis ’44, Woody Woodcock ’50, and Pete Meadowcroft ’55.

Our loss of classmates has been heavy.

Mel Everingham was a much admired, participating member. He was quarterback on the football team and a brother in KDR. A retired chemist from DuPont, Mel lived with his wife, Dillie, in South Carolina. He left us Aug. 22 at the age of 82.

We learned of the Dec. 6 death of Jim O’Hara, a retired stock broker with Morgan Stanley, from Wall, N.J. Jim’s wife Candy survives him. He was 82.

Also passing was Albro Wilson Jr. of Rochester, N.Y., 79, formerly of Phillipsburg. He earned both an engineering degree from Lafayette and a master’s from Rochester Institute of Technology. He worked in engineering for both General Electric and Xerox. Albro was active as a permanent deacon in the Catholic Church. He is survived by three daughters—Barb Bathon and Beth and Jeanette Wilson, two brothers, and five grandchildren.

Finally, we lost Dick Young, 80, of Neptune, N.J., July 17. He was a business and economics major and received his master’s from New York University. Dick was a charter member of Soles Hall and was a brother “across the street” at KDR. He served in the Army during the Korean War and was awarded the Bronze Star. He was a retired investment manager.

Our sympathy and blessings to each of the families of our classmates. “On Olympus set, hail to Lafayette.”


Leon H. Fox Jr.
6 Firethorne Circle
Lafayette Hill, PA 19444-2405

President: Alan FitzGibbon
Fund Manager: George E. Patton Jr.
Reunion Chair: H. David Moore Jr.

Lois and I attended the 11th Annual Lafayette Legacy Dinner Oct. 1 with our grandson, Eric Goldwein ’12, who continues as sports editor of The Lafayette. It was wonderful to see so many second- and third-generation students at Lafayette. We attended the Marquis Founders dinner, also in October, and heard about all the wonderful new programs and physical facilities. We try to attend as many athletic events as possible too. In addition to College events, we enjoyed a winter family vacation in Punta Cana.

Our condolences go to the family of Jack Wilson, who passed away Oct. 1 at his home at Pennswood Village in Newtown, Pa. His wife of 56 years, Jean; his three sons, Doug, Steve ’82, and Dave ’81; his eight grandchildren; and his brother Bill ’49. He spent his entire career with the New York Life Insurance Company, retiring in 1985. He is deeply loved and respected by his family and many friends, and his quiet intelligence, warm generosity, and dry humor will be missed by all.

Richard West resides in Hamilton Square, N.J. He reports that he has trouble with his arms and legs but his “head and brain areas are A-OK.”

With sympathy, we extend our condolences to the family of John F. Illenberger, who died Sept. 26. John was a retired electrical engineer working more than 30 years for Westinghouse. He is survived by his son, James, two grandchildren, and one great grandchild.

George Patton reports that he and Lorraine are “rolling along,” and he looks forward to celebrating his 80th birthday in April. Lorraine is active with the Red Hats, Music in the Park, and her bridge group, while George is still in the Harmonica Music Club, plays golf weekly, and attended Phillies spring training. The Pattons note that their daughter, Anita Patton O’Connor, received the Lebanon School District’s 2010 Distinguished Alumna Award and she is the first woman to be so honored since the award was established. Anita was Miss Pennsylvania 1980 and still performs in concert.

Our condolences go to the family of Alexander Knapp “Whip” Buck who died Oct. 24. He was a business leader and entrepreneur, working for Smith Kline and later founding TDH Inc. He and his two brothers became partners in the Philadelphia Phillies. Whip is survived by his wife of 56 years, Sara, sons Alexander Jr. and Norman and their spouses, five grandchildren, and one great-grandson.

On Oct. 15, Dave Hubinger was honored in Wilmington by the Delaware Tennis Hall of Fame. Aside from all of his other achievements, it was impressive to read that he has provided free tennis services to adults and youth for 50 years. Dave is part of a family tennis tradition that started with his father and passed down to Dave, his sons, and his grandsons.

Marge and Larry Scharff visited relatives in Washington, D.C., this fall, and toured the museums. They planned to spend Thanksgiving on a week-long cruise on the Ruby Princess.

I met with Ted Morgan and Bill Wigginton at the Lafayette Maroon Club Hall of Fame induction dinner Nov. 19. Ted reports that he and Helen are doing well. He was one of the sponsors for the honoree, John Ernst ’25, deceased, who was a three-sport student athlete. John went on to play for the Frankford Yellow Jackets (became the Philadelphia Eagles). Bill reports that he still surfs, having surfed that week, and saw no sharks.

David Fox has an eight-person law firm, Fox & Fox, in Livingston, N.J. He has been involved in some interesting litigation that made headlines in the local papers. Dave sponsors a number of golf outings, even though he does not play. His three grandchildren keep Esther and him busy, but he promises to attend our 60th reunion in 2013.

Dr. Robert Leder died in Florida Nov. 16. He was known for his easy laugh, generous spirit, and kind words. Bob practiced oral surgery in Westwood and Hackensack, N.J., for more than 30 years. He was a graduate of University of Pennsylvania Dental School. Our sincere condolences go to his wife, Barbara, sons Richard ’78 and Michael, and his five grandchildren.

With sadness we report the Dec. 1 passing of Robert Earl Woodward in Lakeland, Fla. Robert formed Woodward Corp., which specialized in radiant heating. His wife of 56 years, Betty, daughter, Julie, and two grandsons survive him.

Doug Moore reports that he retired from Marriott Hotels Inc. in 1970 and recently moved to a retirement community, Glen Allen, north of Richmond, Va. He is in reasonably good health and is enjoying all of the amenities of his community.

Bill Jacob reports that this has been an exciting and busy year for Joyce and him. Their first great-grandchildren (twin girls) were born last March, a granddaughter graduated in May from St. Norbert College in Wisconsin, a grandson was married in North Carolina in July (and moved to Philadelphia a week later to begin his first year at Temple University School of Medicine). The Jacobs made eight trips to keep up with things, which was hard to do with nine grandchildren—and now two great-grandchildren—living in six different locations, none of which are near their home in Florida. Bill thinks this is what keeps them young.

Chuck Flanagan of Oak Ridge, Tenn., reports that in December he and Jane visited their children in Seattle and accompanied their two teenage grandkids on a holiday shopping trip. He and Jane remain healthy and active, having retired 15 years ago. They continue their travels. This year they went to Schenectady, N.Y., for grandson Miles’ high school graduation; he now has one semester finished at Berklee College of Music in Boston, and is passionate about his electric guitar. On the way to Schenectady, they stopped at Lafayette and took a student-led tour of campus. They were impressed with what the College has done and with the programs offered. In July, they returned to New Hampshire for their 39th year as campers, or staff, at the Sandy Island YMCA Family Camp, where they have their annual family reunion. Chuck and Jane spent three weeks at Penobscot Bay in Maine and in September went to Charleston, S.C. They hope to return to Europe in 2011 and revisit some of their old (1988–90) haunts in Munich. Jane continues to write and is a member of the Tennessee Mountain Writers. Last year, she submitted an inspirational essay and received a second-place award.


John A. Ferrante
4 Del Mesa Carmel
Carmel, CA 93923

President: Ronald E. Philipp
Fund Manager: Robert Aiello


John W. Gilbert Jr.
12 W. Edinburgh Road
Ocean City, NJ 08226-4618
(609) 399-3109

President: Ralph O. Doederlein Sr.
Fund Managers: Thomas F. McGrail, Mark B. Weisburger
Reunion Chair: Ralph O. Doederlein Sr.


Donald L. Mitchell
365 Carr Hill Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325
(717) 642-9094

President: Richard W. Graham
Fund Manager: Cornelius Alexander IV
Reunion Chair: H. Kermit Green Jr.

I regret to report that Sebastian “Sam” Pennise, 76, died at his home in Camarillo, Calif., Aug. 4. He had struggled for some time with multiple myeloma. Sam was one of the several Easton natives who dignified our class as outstanding students. The son of Salvatore and Julia, who had emigrated from Italy, he was an altar boy and graduated from Easton High School. Following graduation with a degree in electrical engineering, he and his wife, Lorraine, and first son moved to California, where he earned a master’s at West Coast University. He also served six years in the Army Ordnance Corps, achieving the rank of captain. In 45 years with Rocketdyne, he was part of significant aerospace and defense programs such as Redstone, Thor, Delta, Gemini, Mercury, Saturn, the Space Shuttle, and the International Space Station. He is survived by wife Lorraine, to whom he was married for 56 years; four sons, a daughter, four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. Our sympathies, Lorraine!

Robert J. “Jeff” Jeffery, 76, passed away in Scranton, Pa., Dec. 12. Bob was born in Red Bank, N.J., and raised in Holmdel N.J. He and his late wife, Margaret, raised their family in Lincroft, N.J. Bob retired in 1991 after 30 years as principle partner in Holmes & McDowell Inc., of Holmdel. He had wide-ranging community interests. Upon retirement, he and Margaret moved to Lake Ariel, Pa. While at Lafayette, he was a member of Delta Tau Delta. He is survived by two sons and four grandchildren.

I write only hours after talking to Charley Myers and learning that his wife, Donna, passed away earlier in the day, after many months of deteriorating health, brought on by a rare ailment known as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, an incurable neurological disorder. Donna was an outstanding woman, with nationwide recognition as a consultant/agent in the field of food marketing, and specific expertise in outdoor cuisine. Our sympathy to Charley, son Chip, and his family. I must add that in the course of Donna’s decline, Art and Ann Herrmann gave her and Charley consistent and personal support despite living some distance apart.

I’m happy to report on a couple of “small world” encounters I’ve enjoyed while gathering notes from our classmates. A long and refreshing conversation with Gayle and Carol Parker revealed some common twists and turns in our lives. Gayle grew up in Oil City, northwestern Pennsylvania oil country, almost on the same parallel with Hazleton, my hometown in the northeast anthracite coal region of the state. Black was the dominant color, and trains hauling black cargo were common to both of our youths. On another level, I spent 14 years of my ministry in Oil City at First Presbyterian Church, a merger of two Presbyterian churches Gayle attended as a boy. Having come to Lafayette married after seven years in the Army (in Japan and later in Korea via the invasion at Inchon), Gayle earned a spontaneous commission, and received an appointment to West Point. During the years at Lafayette, Gayle was a very close friend and Sigma Chi brother of our late class president, Tom Nelson. They then attended George Washington University Law School together. Space limitations don’t permit me to recite all of our conversation, but Gayle’s life is worthy of a memoir. One poignant aspect of it was his being in the same office as General Douglas MacArthur the day MacArthur departed Korea following his firing by President Truman. I’ve encouraged Gayle to submit a written recap of the event to Lafayette Magazine for publication. One other tidbit that will carry you back to our days “on the Hill,” is that Carol was a nurse at Easton Hospital, where many Leopards gave blood for $25 to pay for party weekends or for beer at the CHT. Gayle and Carol have been married 61 years. He retired from the practice of law in 1979 and transitioned into 29 years as a consultant. The Parkers now reside in Fort Mill, S.C.

My call to Fred Shunk brought Virginia to the phone, who in Fred’s absence gave a great deal of time bringing me up to date. Both are quite involved in First Presbyterian Church in Bethlehem, and Fred continues to be quite active in local affairs and friendships, in spite of the ongoing burden of diabetes. Virginia spoke about their occasional contacts with other Sigma Nus who still hang out in Pennsylvania: John Dempwolf is retired and lives in York; Jim Hunter, in McMurray; and Rich Johnson’s widow, Lois, in Bethlehem. In addition, they keep in touch with Bill Glenney, who worked, retired, and lives in Rochester, N.Y. We shared some common associations in our childhood, especially that Virginia spent second grade in Hazleton, Pa., my hometown. We had fun reminiscing about the many movie theaters in our neighborhood at the time and walks in beautiful Vine Street Cemetery, the trees of which housed the largest squirrel population this side of the Mississippi. In memory, we visited some wonderful northern tier Pennsylvania towns with catchy names like Nescopeck and Berwick, the latter boasting one of the most outstanding high school football programs in the country. Fred and Virginia also follow Bethlehem high school sports, even though Virginia graduated from Easton High School.

Touched base with a couple of Chi Phis, Frank Mattison and Bill Culviner. And the world grows smaller still; Frank lives north of Pittsburg in Freedom, Pa., not far from where I spent 35 years of my active ministry. Although he has undergone two heart bypasses, and owns a stent, he spends a lot of time in the life and work of Orchard Hill Community Church. After Lafayette, Frank spent several years with Jones & Laughlin Steel, then LTV, before trekking up State Route 8 to Franklin, Pa., and Franklin Steel. He and Ralph Hutchison often crossed paths in those days. Frank is retired from the Army reserve after 23 years of service. He and Rose Marie stay in close touch with Betty (Ed) Bernhard.

Bill Culviner got his law degree from New York University and later pursued a position with Merck Pharmaceutical, which assigned him to their facility in West Point, Pa., prior to migrating to California. In the Golden State, he took up a specialty litigating intellectual property cases. He retired in 1993 and devotes time looking at the stars above and searching for golf balls below. He also plays tennis. Word has it that he and Sue pay a lot of attention to horses (the nonpaying kind) and enjoy life in lovely Poway, Calif. What a delightful conversation; thanks, Bill!

It was a pleasant surprise when I called Alan Pesky in Sun Valley, Idaho, and he answered the phone. As I remembered from interfraternity competition, Al was a pretty decent basketball player, as was Al Ehrlich, and he tells me he is still chasing the gold while skiing in Sun Valley. His first loyalty, though, is to the sport of philanthropy, especially for kids with learning disabilities. Named after their son who died several years ago, The Lee Pesky Learning Center is a nonprofit enterprise that has received attention nationwide. It now employs 31 people. Occasional trips back to New York keep Alan in touch with Henry Wallach. He also connects with Joel Weidman and Steve Rader.

Misty Sayenga and Bryan Satterlee, with spouses, enjoyed an evening out and Italian cuisine in Tucson, Ariz. Brian has a new house and a new pacemaker, but otherwise keeps ahead of the game, as is his custom. They talked about the misfortunes of Lafayette football in recent years and recalled the better days for football on the Hill when we were there. Misty said that they enjoyed a bit of wine, of which Brian is quite knowledgeable. Is there nothing average about this man, who also gave vintage performances on the football field, lo those many years ago? To your health, Bryan and Misty. Misty is trying hard to hook me up with Angelos Paleologos. More on that next time.

A pleasant conversation with Charles Arnold revealed that he had been the late Bill Farmer’s roommate for a year. He is another Pennsylvania (Furlong) boy who, in his retirement, claims the title “Handy Man.” That covers the gamut. Charles was self-employed for several years as a manufacturer’s rep. He is a member of Phi Kappa Psi.

If there are any classmates who travel more to exotic and almost inaccessible places than Bill Kent and Chuck Sitkin, I would like to know their names. Bill and Tanja returned only a few months ago from a Black Sea cruise, which began and ended in Athens. It included stops in Turkey (Istanbul is one of Bill’s favorite cities), Ukraine, and Russia. They also took time to visit Sarajevo, Prague, and other treasured places in the Czech Republic. They hope to return to Bosnia later in 2011. Chuck sent us a New Year’s greeting reminding us that he had spent parts of the summer in Oxford, U.K., taking a course and enjoying a meal in Harry Potter’s dining hall. From there, he and companions went on to Wales and more of England. Later in the summer, he took time off to travel to Turkey for a month. Chuck also finds Turkey most compatible to his tastes. As he mailed the letter, he was about to depart for Burma. He also finds time for gardening and installing a new kitchen. You engineers are so multidimensional!

Marion and I took a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 last summer. We left from Brooklyn and landed in Southampton, U.K., seven days later. In a week on land, we managed to squeeze in a couple of days in London, several in Ireland, and one traveling through Wales on our way to Southampton for the six-day return voyage. We were moved by the exhibit of the Book of Kells and the Old Library at Trinity College, Dublin. A cross-country rail and bus trip to the Ring of Kerry in southwest Ireland crisscrossed the Irish Open Golf Tournament (which I didn’t play). Much as we enjoyed Dublin, our favorite town was Killarney. They actually allowed us into the Guinness Brewery in Dublin, in spite of my being Presbyterian, and it only cost 11 Euros. I’ve never been charged for a tour of a brewery or a winery before, but perhaps it’s a commentary on the economic situation in the Emerald Isle.

That’s it for now, friends! Except you will probably be hearing from Kit Green and class officers Dick Graham, Gordon Wright, Shark Alexander about a proposed 55th reunion around the time of Reunion Weekend in June. Try to make it, so we can rub elbows or arm wrestle, or something macho like that.


Glenn E. Grube
77 Eagle Harbor Trail
Palm Coast, FL 32164-6149
(386) 437-9715

President: Walter Oechsle
Fund Manager: Robert E. Moss
Reunion Chair: Glenn E. Grube
Web Page Administrator: David E. Cary,,

Gentlemen! I am about to truly start “smelling the roses” as I have been granted a retirement with thanks and appreciation from my trusteeship in the local arts foundation. After I had volunteered over 10,000 hours of leadership and secretarial responsibility since 2002, Joan said that enough is enough! A recent trip with Joan to Utah to play softball in the Huntsman World Senior Games, three national parks toured, time spent with long-neglected nieces and nephews, reconnecting with first cousins, weed-whacking my two acres of Florida property, a tour of Vermont with classmates Mike McCooey and Jim Sandford and their wives, buying a cottage on a lake in Connecticut, and taking time to read…I look forward to playing softball four days a week and just relaxing!

As promised, your classmates, relatives, and friends had a wonderful eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Destiny out of Miami, Jan. 10–15. I will share details in my next column. If someone can get Glenn Fatzinger to retire, he may bring his euphonium and serenade us at our pre-55th reunion soiree next year. Anne and Bill Metzgar promise to drive to wherever we next gather, even if it is a trip of 3,000 miles. Mike Winship would have been with us on the cruise as Shirley’s Lyme disease is almost under control. Vic Garber just returned from a vacation in South Africa and regrets missing the cruise. Russ Grimes and Nancy cruised to Panama and Coast Rica with their eldest grandkids after Russ completed six years of writing a chemistry text. Russ is now “confronted with a list of stuff that needs doing around the house that Nancy has been compiling all that time.” I certainly know how that feels, but it can be fun and refreshing!

Our obituaries unfortunately continue, and we offer condolences to the wives and families of those who have recently passed:

Harold Stanley Wenal, owner of Flexxon Operating Ltd., died June 7 in Lawrenceville, N.J.

Carmon Benford Newell Jr., of Butler, N.J., died Aug. 16. He was chief mediator with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service and a model railroad enthusiast. He received the Korean War Bronze Star and was a Kentucky Colonel. He enjoyed racquetball and gardening. He is survived by his wife, Joan.

William Dwyer Suits died Dec. 17 in Old Saybrook, Conn. He was an active leader in civic and community affairs, a youth baseball coach, avid golfer, and Rotary Club Paul Harris Fellow. He is survived by his wife, Carol.

Raymond Carey, retired director of audits for Union Carbide Corp., died Dec. 28 in Rutherford, N.J. He was very active in the 55 Kip Center, a privately operated senior activities center that recently elected him to their Hall of Fame. In his most recent email he said, “I am alive, reasonably well, and treasure each new day.” He was a major contributor to the College and a fellow Delta Tau Delta fraternity brother. He is survived by his wife, Margot. He is sorely missed.

Dick Poole put our lives since college into full perspective: “Glenn’s note on the recent passing of Ray Carey vividly brought to my attention that I have not attempted to stay in touch with any of my Lafayette classmates, fraternity brothers, and friends since I moved to Texas back in 1969. We are all getting a little over the hill, so it is probably now or never. I did have two stents put in for three significant artery blockages a year ago, and I seem to acquire a new pain somewhere every day. As we probably all know, getting older is not for wimps, and those days of feeling we were invincible are rapidly disappearing. We have not been back to the Northeast since the ’60s, but I do agree with Carl Albero that it would be nice to get together before we are all deceased. Sorry I have been so remiss in keeping in touch, but Delta Tau Delta was a big part of my Lafayette experience, and when Nu chapter was no more, I lost interest in the school activities. As is common, I got wrapped up in my family and job, which took us away from the area. Not a valid excuse, but reality. I would like to hear from any of you if you are so inclined.” He shared a brief recap of his life since graduation, which I forwarded to Dave Cary to place on our website.

In the near future, I will be trying to find both postal and email addresses for missing classmates or those with whom the class has lost contact. Your assistance in helping us locate these class members will be extremely valuable. I still seek one or two volunteers to write one column every year or so as guest columnist for the Class of 1957. Of special importance will be the opportunity for that guest columnist to share information about classmates that I do not regularly hear from or see. Call or email me to volunteer. I will provide more details about gathering information and writing the column.


Edward Brunswick
4931 Bonita Bay Blvd., Apt. 801
Bonita Springs, FL 34134
(239) 949-0801
(239) 949-0802 (fax)

Jim Hourihan
8513 Sparger St.
McLean, VA 22102-1715
(703) 821-8225

President: Elbern H. Alkire Jr.
Fund Manager: S. Robert Beane Jr.
Reunion Chairs: C. Douglas Cherry, Spencer A. Manthorpe
Web Page Administrator: Elbern H. Alkire Jr.,

The Lafayette football team lost a tough one to Lehigh in November. “Big Al’s” in Naples, Fla., showed the game on cable. Only seven ’Pards cheered for our team, against 30 alumni from Lehigh. However, due to host Joe Skladany ’82 and yours truly, we gave them a run for their money in the noise department. Great time was had by all, despite the loss. I was the only one from ’58 there.

John Piper writes that he and Margaret are doing well. He is writing a history of Lycoming College, which will be celebrating its bicentennial in 2012. Margaret is president of the Loyalsock (Pa.) Township School Board. John keeps in contact with Dick Barrett, who is recovering from some health problems. He is also in touch with Lem Howell, who is always on the move and doing well out West. John sends best wishes to all of our classmates.

Ken Sibal writes that he and Joy are having fun in Myrtle Beach. Chuck Oshinski lives nearby and they get together several times a year. Ken hosted the Lafayette–Lehigh game at a local sports bar and had a good turnout. The Sibals have 12 grandchildren, and when they are not visiting to see them all, they sell real estate in their area.

Charley Rose is always good for lots of information. Besides doing plenty of traveling, both for business and pleasure, he says the highlight of his year was going back to Milford, N.J., in November, driving up to P’burg, and having a Jimmy Dog. Actually, he had two of them. The place is still on the Delaware, dogs were $1.25, and it sports many pictures of the old, octagonal stand from our days on the Hill. (Note: The original Jimmy Dog stand has relocated to the 25th Street Shopping Center, just off U.S. Route 22.) Charley was back in Milford to see friends from his youth and also to look at a farm for sale. He stayed at Chestnut Hill, one of the best bed and breakfasts in the country—put the name in your address book for future reference. Charley saw Bob and Lois Hoffman. Both looked great. Their granddaughter is now a sophomore at the University of Florida and a scholarship lacrosse player. She was recruited to be on the first women’s lacrosse team at the college. Dave Hutchison had back surgery but seems to be doing well. Bill Benger, the phantom, has some health issues; his body will end up in a medical museum—a real medical miracle, for sure. (I’m quoting Charley.) Charley gave me his itinerary of where he has been and where he is going–mostly places in Europe. In closing, Charley did brag a bit about his 15-year-old grandson in Utah, who was national champion of Big Mountain Freestyle Skiing, with six events around the western states. Another grandson, 14, was on the All-Utah Lacrosse Team that competed against other state teams in July in Orlando.

Bob Beane said he had a holiday note from Gerry Flanzbaum that notes Gerry was leaving for Israel for the winter and would not be back in the States until June. Gerry will be visiting the Beane compound in September after his fishing trip in Maine. Jack and Margie Downes are moving from Maine to St. Simons Island in Georgia. I guess the winter weather is too much for Jack and his Lilly Pulitzer slacks. Bob ran into Ed Alkire and Doug Cherry at Homecoming.

Bob Harris has officially listed his house for sale and is moving up to Kennebunk, Maine. I guess when you get an invitation from the Bush family you make the move. Bob will probably ride his bike up to Maine from New Jersey. Amid the Harrises’ travels back and forth to their new neighborhood, they are grooming their Scottish terrier, Brodie, for the show season, which begins in April. Brodie has successfully managed to sire two litters, one in Portland, Ore., and the other in Massachusetts. If all goes well, he will have his championship in early May, and perhaps next year, he will be showing at Westminster. We all wish Brodie good luck. If you want to reach Bob, his new email is (So obvious!)

Bill “Mike” Houldin checked in. After all the years at high school and college, I still call him Bill. Maybe he is part of the witness protection program and thinks that a small name change will keep the bad guys away (just kidding). He tells me one of his grandsons, William M Houldin III, was accepted for early decision, Class of 2015. He will be the fourth generation at Lafayette. Another grandson, Christopher S. Johnston, graduated in 2008, and a son, Spencer, in 1991. He is in constant touch with Al Caesar and Bob Lotz. Also had telephone Christmas greetings from Charley Rose.

Don Freimark writes that he is completing his 51st year on Wall Street, although Freimark Blair & Co. and his geopolitical consulting firm, Trans National Research Corp., completed relocation to larger new quarters in Upper Saddle River, N.J., five minutes from home. So much for his bachelor’s in chemistry. Sixth grandchild arrived this year. All of his family lives within 45 minutes of each other. Lucille returned to graduate school for her master’s in clinical psychology. She has a program in place for the next two years. The Freimarks skied in Sun Valley and wine-tasted in Tuscany. They hope to visit friends on the west coast of Florida sometime in the near future.

Chuck Stevens writes that he spent some time with Bob Pulcipher in Denver in early October as part of a spectacular southwest trip—Taos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Canyon de Chelly, north rim of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Glen Canyon Dam, Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Vail. Los Alamos, N.M., was the most intriguing stop. Chuck, apply for a position at Tauck Tours or Abercrombie & Kent.

Dr. Arie Fischbach passed away Oct. 10. He had been an OB-GYN for the past 40 years after studying medicine at the University of Liege in Belgium, where he graduated cum laude. Outside of his medical world, he loved his family, jazz, and reading.

I heard from Jim Kauders, a real voice from the past. We grew up together in Elkins Park, Pa., but have not been in touch with each other since I tried to copy his answers in Dr. Liang Lin Hsiao’s class. I flunked the course. He and his family were in Israel for their eldest granddaughter’s wedding last spring, spending three weeks in the country. He visited with Gerry and Marilyn Flanzbaum while there. Jim’s wife, Diane, continues chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. She is doing OK and keeps the family together. I follow the Kauders family on Facebook.

Our leader, Ed Alkire, reports from the Oct. 28 Marquis Founders dinner during Homecoming. In attendance were Bob Beane, Doug and Connie Cherry, and Don Kress. They saw several multimedia presentations, but the one most appreciated and cheered by all was the demolition of the hub cap factory at the bottom of College Hill. Ed writes that he recently saw Max Creswell, who lives on Swan’s Island in Maine during the summer near Bill “Mike” Houldin. Max has a small church there but spends the winter months in Pennsylvania.

As it is now spring, it is good to remember where we all started our various vocations. I know that we will receive a letter from our class fund manager, Bob Beane, with a plea to remember the College and to keep the spirit alive by donating what you can for future generations.

Have a great year, and if you are on the west coast of Florida, I’m here till the middle of May, then I make my way up to Maine the middle of June with a stop in New York City, where I visit my co-op of 45 years. Stay well, have fun, and remember to be good to your friends and family.


Norbert F. Smith
227 River’s Edge
Williamsburg, VA 23185-8933
(757) 229-7377

President: Edwin H. Feather Jr.,
Fund Manager: James F. Mallay,
Reunion Chairs: Jordan Engelman, Bruce L. Forbes
Web Page Administrator: Frank V. Hermann,

Greetings to all ’59 classmates, wherever you may be! This column will include class activities and classmate updates through late December 2010. As always, thanks to each of you for your contributions to our ’59 columns; your updates make our column interesting and informative and help keep us connected. If you have Internet access and did not receive an email from me requesting updates for this column, then I do not have your current email address. I would appreciate receiving it! Current limitations on column length no longer enable me to thank each of you for submitting your updates, but please know that I greatly appreciate hearing from each of you, and our classmates do as well!

We enjoyed a GREAT turnout to root on the ’Pards for our 2010 ’59er football weekend at the Lafayette–Harvard game! Fourteen classmates, plus their wives and guests, attended: Jordan Engelman, Bruce and Bette Forbes, Bill and Peggy Foster, Jim and Susan Haering, Allan and Marie Johnson, Don Kein and grandson Will, Norm Sensinger and three friends from Baltimore, Norb and Maryellen Smith, Terry and Georgiana Snyder, Dick and Barbara Souders, Kurt Steckley, Joe and Peggy Stefanowicz, Dick and Jackie Wright, and honorary classmate Ruth Hutnik and her husband, Bill. Kudos to Bruce for getting the tickets and making the arrangements, and we all enjoyed the great tailgate before and after the game (see photos). The 2010 attendance was our largest ever, and we look forward to an even bigger turnout for this year’s ’59er weekend!

Don’t forget to support our College and its magnificent faculty and students by sending a contribution for 2010–11 to the College’s Annual Fund, Class of 1959 Marquis Scholarship Fund, or Dean Frank Hunt Emergency Fund endowed by Jerry Turnauer. Jim Mallay, our superb class fund manager, will provide an update in the Summer 2011 Lafayette Magazine. Jim’s email: Thanks!

Please keep Len Achey in your thoughts and prayers as he contends with medical challenges. If you’d like to contact Len and Marlys, their info is Leonard A. Achey, 5422 Northwood Drive, Spokane, WA 99212-1606, (509) 928-2126,

Lou Chomo’s new email:

Gerry Crean '59

Gerry Crean '59

Gerry Crean sent the following note: “In September 2010, at the annual Southington Democratic Chairman’s Dinner, I was named the 2010 Distinguished Democrat of the Year. I am the first and only person to receive this award. About 100 people attended, including a congressman, the governor, and state and local officials, as well as my family members. I received several official citations, and one of them reads: ‘In appreciation for your generous commitment of time, support, and inspiration. We are proud to have had an individual like you serve us on the Town Council, State Legislature, and Chairman of the Southington Democratic Town Committee.’ It was a great night for my family and me!” Gerry’s email:

Ed Feather, our distinguished and dynamic class president, has a new email: Ed and Mayleen were unable to attend our ’59 football weekend, as they were enjoying their timeshare weeks in Hilton Head, S.C., and in Orlando. They look forward to attending our tailgate in 2011.

Buck Fleming sent two updates, one a wonderful eulogy, and the other a harrowing experience, when he and Dorothy narrowly escaped the devastation of the September fire in Boulder, Colo. “Norb, the tribute to Henry Miller was deserved and special to me. Henry and I were in the same class at Germantown Academy as well as Lafayette. Wolf Block was my primary law firm, and Henry was my guy when contract troubles arose in one of my developments. He was a great guy, but most importantly to me as a client, he was the most talented lawyer I ever employed in the U.S. or in my European operations. In several major conflicts Henry was calm, collected, and the smartest guy in the room. To walk into a contract dispute with Henry at your side told the contestants that you were there to win, and we did every time. Henry was always a gentleman, even in the most intense situations. Thanks for the tribute and space you gave to a very special classmate.

“We were in Boulder and smelled wood burning. It was chilly but not cold enough for someone to be burning a wood stove. With a clear view to the west, we saw smoke in the mountains, where we live in Jamestown. The wind was blowing a hoot, a sure sign that fire in the pines would need fast and serious attention. The fire was too fast, and homes and propane tanks quickly erupted into flames, which spread. There was a quick imposition of a mandatory evacuation, sheriff and police departments closed roads to the mountains, and we were unable to go home. We knew we had some good friends; that week proved it. For five days, we stayed with friends before we were at last able to come home and sleep safely. Those five days were tough, with worry over our home and daily reports of homes lost. We have been lucky. For now, the fire has been contained on the other side of the ridge to the north side of our canyon. As I have been writing, dozens of fire trucks and supporting equipment have gone up the canyon past our home. The helicopters that carry water to the flames are still active. The slurry bombers are not flying today but are standing by for deployment. We are home with fingers crossed that the wind remains calm. Everyone has read about fire and the tragedy it brings to mountain communities. Reading about our fire cannot describe the ache we all feel for our neighbors who have lost homes and for the destruction of that beautiful section of our state, which is now charred and ugly. At least 175 of our neighbors have lost their homes. Those with saved homes will be looking at charred landscape for decades, and we are reminded constantly of the friends whose lives have been devastated by this event. We are safe and relieved that our canyon has not been impacted directly. There is relief but no happiness—too much tragedy on the other side of the ridge that frames our beautiful view.” Buck’s email:

Frank Fletcher, our nearby neighbor on Virginia’s beautiful Northern Neck, has a new email: “We tired of our dial-up Internet connection and decided to join the modern world.”

Bill Foster has moved! “Sorry I didn’t get back sooner, but it’s been hectic here in the Foster household. We’ve been busy getting ready to move, moving, and now getting everything set up in the new (to us) house. We moved right after the December 2010 blizzard. After 44 years in the old house, which has not sold yet, we downsized to a one-story ranch that has central A/C. Yes, we’re now in the 21st century with most other folks! Last summer’s heat really took its toll. Our new address is 38 Herbert Terrace, West Orange, NJ 07052-1076. Email and phone did not change: (973) 736-1022, Our task now is finding everything—boxes galore in the basement—and finding the right spot for it. The best thing is that the new house has loads of wall space, so we can finally hang and enjoy all of our art. It should prove fun. We still take care of our granddaughter, Adina, five days a week so both her mom and dad can work. It’s quite a challenge, since she’s 4 going on 20, and we only had boys. But the rewards are fantastic. I never thought that helping to raise a child at our age could be so much fun—and tiring. Peg finally retired last year. She was director of the child-abuse facility for our part of New Jersey. When she retired, a room was named for her in the facility. Quite an honor.”

Sy and Peg Goff relocated back to Sy’s roots in Bethlehem, Pa. Their contact info: 1850 Homestead Avenue, Bethlehem, PA 18018-2145, (253) 278-1720 (cell),

Roger Houck has a new email:

Don Kein sent a nice note: “Thanks so much for the GREAT photos Maryellen took of our mini reunion at the ’59er football game! Janeen and I love that one of grandson Will with the Leopard. Will had a wonderful time. Who knows, maybe he will be in the Lafayette Class of 2027, 100 years after his great-grandfather, Gustav Kein! I will try to get to the Lehigh game with Will and his father (my son), Ed Kein ’94.” Don’s email:

Bill Kennedy has a new email:

Here’s a great update from Jack Kingfield, one of ’59’s distinguished judges: “I’m a little late with this, but Kathie and I celebrated our 50th in April 2010. On a more current note, I was sorry I missed seeing everyone at the Harvard game, but I was traveling at the time. I did attend the annual game with Lehigh, where we held our usual tailgate for family and friends, which included Roger and Dotty Houck, and our son-in-law, Bobby Carapezzi ’89. I still haven’t been able to convince my daughter, Karen Carapezzi ’91, to attend. Finally, in October, Kathie and I were in Indian Wells, Calif., where I participated with my Sand Island (Bethlehem, Pa.) Senior (50 and over) Tennis Team in a USTA national tournament. Kathie told me she thought I was the oldest guy playing in the entire tournament. Maybe it’s because some of the other players looked like they had found the fountain of youth or should have had their birth certificates checked. Nevertheless, our team did quite well.” Jack’s email:

Dr. Robert A. Kramer passed away in September. Bill Foster, Bob’s Pi Lam fraternity brother and close friend and neighbor for the past several years, sent the following eulogy: “I am saddened to let you know that Bob Kramer passed away. He had been fighting prostate cancer for several years and finally lost the battle. Bob was my Pi Lam brother, and we had many good times on the Hill. He left our class after our junior year to attend dental school. Bob had a practice for many years in the Passaic/Clifton, N.J. area, and he was my dentist. Bob and I and our wives, Kathy and Peggy, spent many vacations together, traveling the Northeast in his motor home and enjoying relaxing dinners at local restaurants. He joined me on my boat for bass fishing numerous times. Bob tried to take my money in our weekly poker game. He hosted many Super Bowl parties and was an avid Jets fan. Bob was also a conservationist and supported the Woodie Wheaton Land Trust, which preserves Maine forest land. In memory of Bob, contact the trust at Woodie Wheaton Land Trust, 6 Grove Road, Forest City, ME 04413, I will miss Bob. He was more than a friend, he was truly a brother.”

I also received a wonderfully caring note from Kathy, Bob’s wife. “Thank you for remembering Bob so fondly. He loved Lafayette; our son, David J. Kramer ’98, is also an alumnus. Our children are Alison (Ally), David, and Kenneth; our grandchild is Jonathan, 1. Bill Foster is the dearest friend anyone could have, and I am comforted every time he walks through my door, which was whether Bob was conscious or comatose. My David has the same camaraderie with his Lafayette brothers; he was a Kirby man, and my home was filled last evening with Lafayette alumni from the classes of ’98 and ’99. We are planning for Jonathan.” Bob was also an active member of Bruce Forbes 50th reunion planning committee. Bob and Bill Foster attended many ’Pard football games together, and Bob was there in spirit with the ’59ers at the Lafayette–Harvard game, which took place the week after Bob passed away.” We send condolences to Kathy and to the members of Bob’s family. Contact Kathy at Kathleen Kramer, 311 Holly Lane, Cedar Grove, NJ 07009-3203, (973) 239-0016 and

Bill Lee, one of ’59’s world travelers, sent a wonderful update in his annual Christmas letter: “2010 was punctuated with a most unexpected quadruple bypass surgery in June, which slowed our pace. No camping last summer or fall, but I followed orders and am now in full swing. Since we were home more than planned, I joined our local choral society, which I thoroughly enjoyed. We did have two wonderful trips overseas. In March, we went to South Africa on a safari tour joined by local friends. What a grand adventure we had, staying for two weeks in four safari camps just south of Victoria Falls. We saw every animal imaginable, with the exception of rhinos, and even took a “Walk with the Lions” in a private preserve near Victoria Falls. We ended the trip with several days in Cape Town. The second excursion was a Great Rivers of Europe tour from Vienna to Amsterdam in early November. The weather was kind to us, and sailing on a small river ship was a luxurious experience. For Kathryn, the highlight was a chance for us to meet and dine with both of her German exchange daughters while we were docked in Frankfurt. Other highlights included restored historical remains, beautiful cathedrals, quaint towns and villages, and of course the castles along the Rhine.

“All in the family are well. We now have two sons stationed in the Middle East. Bill has been in Iraq since September, and returns to his base in Japan this April. Sanford left for Kuwait on a two-month assignment in December. Rebecca continues to keep busy and is now the proud author of a textbook in her field, to be used in her classes at the University of Houston. Scott continues his work at the IRS in Fresno, Calif.” Bill’s email:

Dick Poey '59

Dick Poey '59

We are always excited to receive an update from Dick Poey, one of ’59’s most talented alumni and consistent column contributors! “We began the year 2010 at sea, in the Atlantic between Argentina and Uruguay, and it was quite delightful. In mid-December 2009 we started our cruise in Santiago, Chile, and sailed around Cape Horn to Buenos Aires. Once home, we got the itch again and ended up near Puerto Vallarta in a grand new hotel. Somehow, our room assignment got messed up, and the management gave us a beautiful suite with two Jacuzzis! Our major trip for 2010 was to Europe, where we spent several days in Switzerland in a festive reunion with Heidi’s family and cousins. From there we flew to Prague, a fascinating city, and then cruised the Danube to Budapest via Austria, where we had a delightful visit with friends we had met years ago in Cozumel. Fortunately, our art businesses picked up after a dismal 2009. I was selected for publication in a coffee table book called 100 Midwest Artists, which is scheduled for publication in 2011. We both participated in several suburban art crawls for additional exposure. But our fall open house topped them all! On opening day, we had 10 inches of snow, but hearty Minnesotans still came. We decided to do a ‘snow day’ repeat, and we promptly got snowed in again—14 inches. Throughout the year, we continued to enjoy the music of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, Summer Fest at Orchestra Hall, performances at the Jungle, Guthrie, and Old Log theaters, and openings at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. We enjoyed several visits from friends this year, including Zoe Garlin, wife of Dick’s college roommate, the late Russ Garlin. We are fortunate for good health. We work, exercise several times a week, and in the summer we enjoy some biking and golf. And there is always red wine in our ‘cave.’” Dick’s email:

The ’59ers who attended the Lafayette–Harvard game greatly enjoyed seeing Norm Sensinger again! Norm also brought three friends from Baltimore with him, and we welcomed them as ’Pard fans.

Norm had previously sent an email update: “Thanks for the remarks on June’s death in the Alumni News. I have decided to work 50/50 for the near future, and I plan to stay in Baltimore, as it has been home for 42 years. I had a nice visit with Chip Pfautz in Sarasota, Fla., in July. He looked well and is in good spirits. He is battling diabetes and lost a big toe, which has slowed him down. He is retired and lives in a nice condo in downtown Sarasota.” Norm now has two emails: and

Dee Snook, Nels Snook’s wife, wrote from Phoenix that they have a new email: “Nels is doing well. He’s still in chemo following his surgery last June and radiation. We’re looking forward to attending a DU reunion this summer.”

Terry Snyder sent a great update. “I went to the annual Lafayette Alumni Christmas Party at the Wilmington, Del. Country Club. Sponsored by and present were Bill Wall ’54, Allen Donahower ’55, Charlie Gehret ’55, Roger Gordon ’55, Tom McGrail ’55, John Stevens ’55 and wife, John and Joan Woolford ’55, Dick Graham ’56, Chuck and Molly Stevens ’58, Dick Hammond ’60, Peggy Bonner and John Leone from the College, and me, the only ’59er there. It was a great gathering. Many more were there, but names escape me. Oysters, clams, great hors d’oeuvres, and an open bar contributed to a warm and friendly gathering of Lafayette alums!” Terry’s email:

Maryellen and I hosted Jad and Marion Sortore for a great afternoon and evening visit in late October, when they were visiting Jad’s three daughters and their families, all of whom live in Virginia Beach, Va., or as Jad relates, “All in the same zip code.” Jad and Marion spent two days in Williamsburg at one of Marriott’s timeshares. After cocktails in our home, we all had dinner on Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg and treated ourselves in a manner to which we are accustomed. In a previous email dialogue, I had sent Jad a photo collection of classic Chevrolet cars someone had sent me. Jad wrote back that “while at Lafayette, I owned a shiny, black, 1947 Chevrolet convertible. It had a white top and large fender skirts, and old-fashioned white walls. Too bad a photo of that model was not included in the collection, but thanks for the memories!” Jad’s email:

Dick Souders wrote to say he enjoyed the Lafayette family weekend and thanked me for sending the questionnaire about Greek life sent out by the College in the fall. Dick’s email:

Dr. George Stavros passed away in September at his home in Pomona, Calif. While at Lafayette, George was on the dean’s list, elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and awarded the Class of 1883 Prize. He was also president of the Kappa Phi Kappa education fraternity and a member of the marching and concert bands. George was a native of Easton and graduate of Wilson High School. Upon graduation from Lafayette with an A.B. in English, he earned a master’s degree with honors from Columbia University in 1964 and a Ph.D. from University of Wisconsin in 1972. He taught English at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Calif., from 1971 until he retired in 2002. He was chair of the department of English from July 1995 until September 1997. Burial was in Easton Cemetery. George is survived by a brother, Peter, and a sister, Marianne Mylonas. We send our condolences to them.

The ’59ers who attended the Lafayette–Harvard game greatly enjoyed seeing Kurt Steckley again! Last December, Kurt sent me the following update: “I recall some of our classmates talking about Uncle Wesley’s at our 50th reunion. There was a story in The Express-Times that Uncle Wesley’s was closing, probably that weekend. I decided to be a part of history and have lunch there—killed my diet. The place was full, and they were short on help. Someone commented about everyone coming out, and the bartender muttered, ‘Where were they when we needed them?’ The news story said they were feeling the competition from the chain restaurants.” Kurt’s email:

Jerry Turnauer, another of our consistent contributors, sent me a wonderful update last October: “All’s well here, thank you. I was in Richmond, Va., for my niece’s wedding, my brother’s daughter. It was an outdoor ceremony and all was lovely and perfect. We then traveled to Harrisburg, Pa., to visit with Sandye’s older sister, Mildred, who has been recovering from breast cancer surgery. We’ll return north in November for my 55th high school reunion, Liberty High School in Bethlehem, Pa. It’s always a good time with a good turnout. Len Achey is an LHS classmate, and we even attended the same junior high school. Our eldest granddaughter, Gabby, 17, is still firm about attending Lafayette. I hope our 529 programs we have for her improve dramatically by then. She’s a junior this year and plans to attend an eight-week program called “High School in Israel” (HSI) this February and March. Gabby has learned to read and write Hebrew but wants to study conversational Hebrew to be comfortable with it. She is quite determined. We will be in Israel in March and will visit her there. You can learn about the program at I’m sure I mentioned—before the fact and now it’s after the fact—our family cruise to Bermuda, 19 of us, in honor of Sandye’s special birthday in 2010. The 10 grandchildren had a ball, as usual, and were active from morning to night. We were in Bermuda three days and two nights and enjoyed our time and the sights. Sandye’s sister Shirley from Houston came to Delaware to ride with us to the port in Bayonne, N.J., except she forgot her passport. It made for some excitement and anxiety, but all worked out okay at the 11th hour when FedEx delivered her passport to our son Michael at their hotel about three miles from the port. FedEx will deliver on Sunday, but it’s costly, since they use commercial scheduled airlines instead of their own aircraft. It made for a laughable story after we were all on board!” Jerry’s email:

Mike Wilson has a new email:

Dick Wright always sends us a great update! “Jackie and I made it to the Lafayette–Lehigh game again this year. The weather was very good, with excellent seats and wonderful company around us, but we were not happy with the outcome of the game. Frank Tavani has had some really good seasons, and I’m sure that 2011 will be a lot better than this year was. Our usual companions at the game, Jim and Sue Haering, were on their way to Paris for their 50th wedding anniversary, so they couldn’t make it. John and Betty Ziegler as well as Fritz Muench and his son, Fritz Jr., accompanied by his fiancée, joined us instead. Following the game, we all went over to the Phi Psi house and made the brothers listen to stories about how great the house was when we were underclassmen. They were polite and agreed to listen to our stories but were happy when we excused ourselves to go the River Grill in downtown Easton for a great dinner. A number of us Phi Psi classmates will be getting together at the Greenbrier in West Virginia in June for a 52nd reunion, to which we are all looking forward.” Dick’s email:

With respect to yours truly, it’s “steady as she goes” for Maryellen and myself. We both keep busily engaged in all our local activities in the Williamsburg area. From September to April, Maryellen directs a choral group of 25 women, with concerts they present as charitable giving in December and April to over 15 retirement and assisted living facilities in the local community. In addition to being our correspondent, I keep busy as a national director for the Navy League of the United States and president of the local Williamsburg–Yorktown Council of the League. I’m on the leadership team for the highly regarded lifelong learning program, The Christopher Wren Association, sponsored by the College of William & Mary. I also make time to visit my son, daughter-in-law, and my two young grandchildren in Southern California at least twice a year.

Photo Gallery